Easy Maintenance Tips Reduce Exhaust Noise
1. Check the exhaust tubing. Repair or replace worn or leaking components.
2. Make sure your exhaust system is properly supported.
3. Installing a resonator or wye connector muffler is an economical way to reduce noise.
4. Modify a single exhaust system to a dual.
5. Check stack and tailpipe position. A straight stack will be quieter than a curved stack on vertical exhaust systems. Turn your horizontal tailpipes toward the center of the road.
RULE OF THUMB:
Combining Two Equal Noise Sources Increases Sounds Level by 3 dBA Two equal noise sources combine to create a sound level 3 dBA greater than either source.
Twice the Loudness is a 10 dBA Increase The increases are not linear! Increasing noise by 10 dB sounds twice as loud.
Sound Pressure Level Changes With Distance
Doubling the distance to a noise source decreases its sound level by 6 dB. Halving the distance to a noise source increases its sound level by 6 dB.